Today let’s talk about something we all do – getting discouraged. Throughout life, we often become discouraged because we are unclear about two things – what’s going on in our lives and why things happen the way they do.
As I mentioned in my previous blog, in your 20’s you just don’t have it all together!
We wonder things like,
- What am I going to do with my life?
- When am I going to be completely established?
- How do I know this career is for me?
- Is entrepreneurship the way to go?
- How much longer do I have to wait until I’m successful?
These are questions I ask myself all the time. While I truly believe I am blessed, anticipatory anxiety is a real thing people! We are all just guessing at life and hoping things work out – never sure if we made the right decisions and never feeling 100% confident that things will work out.
We have heard the stories of our parents and generations before us, we have also seen their testimonies and evolution. It is our job to pull ourselves out of discouragement and fear in order to trust the process (as cliché as it sounds).
Here are some tips to stop having those feelings of discouragement:
- Remove Expectations, Establish Plans – When we place expectations on what we want to happen, we set ourselves up to be let down in the event our expectations are not met. By establishing plans, we allow ourselves to become satisfied with a variety of possible outcomes.
- Focus On What You Can Control – We must pour our energy into the things we can control in our lives, rather than the things we can’t. There is peace in removing stress over things you cannot control.
- Recalling Past Experiences – An easy way to settle yourself is to think about all the times you thought things wouldn’t work out and they did. This helps you motivate yourself to push through, even when you feel confused about what is to come.
- Remain Positive – There is true power in positive thinking people! While training your mind to constantly be positive is a difficult thing to do – positive thinking can transform your mind by pushing you to believe in yourself, minimize your worrying, and changing your attitude. I also truly believe in energy, any energy you put out in the world will come back to you – make sure you are exuding positivity!
Growth is never easy, but even when you don’t see the light at the end of the tunnel – push through.